[Texmacs-dev] New versioning scheme for stable versions

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] New versioning scheme for stable versions
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:31:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hi *,

>From now on, I may correct severe bugs in stable versions
from time to time and release new versions.
For rpms, such versions will be of the form

        ...-1.0.2-1.rpm
        ...-1.0.2-2.rpm
        ...-1.0.2-3.rpm

and for tarballs

        ...-1.0.2.tar.gz
        ...-1.0.2-R2.tar.gz
        ...-1.0.2-R3.tar.gz

>From the internal point of view, these will be different releases
of the same version, so the user should not notice any real
differences and no changes in the data format can occur
between different releases.

I highly recommend major distributions like Debian, Mandrake, etc.
to stick to the stable versions for all non-unstable versions.
I also hope to slightly increase the frequency of new major
stable versions (1.0.2, 1.0.3, 1.1, etc.) to twice/thrice a year.

Best wishes to you *, Joris