[Texmacs-dev] Efficiency of C++ switch-statements

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Efficiency of C++ switch-statements
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:32:07 +0100 (CET)

Hi *,

Can anyone provide me with some information on how well
the C++ switch-statement is being optimized?

I am interested in the following situation: I have 150 built-in
TeXmacs tags and a few places in the code where some action has
to be undertaken which is different for about 10 tags and
the same for the remaining 140 tags. So I use a switch with
a "default:". My question is: does C++ use table lookup for
immediately jumping to the right location (the tables would
clearly be quite sparse)?

Another question: if I do not put the cases in the same order
as the enumeration, does this alter the efficiency?

Thanks in advance for your help, Joris