Re: [Texmacs-dev] primitives reference, tag-info-table

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] primitives reference, tag-info-table
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:06:36 +0100

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:56:45PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> I rethought a bit about this issue today. Since these tables can be
> generated automatically from the DRD, would it not be better to write
> some automatic tools for generating this type of documentation?
> Indeed, keeping these tables up to date might lead to doing double work...

If you think a bit more about it, you'd realize that most of the
information in these tables cannot be generated automatically.

And even for the parts which it _should_ be possible to generate
automatically (e.g. for the the arity) the DRD system is not yet
adequate. For example for whitespace tags, the possible arities are
specified by source code comments.

> In fact, the automatic generation of more types of help pages might
> be interesting anyway (cf. description of commands, keyboard shortcuts,
> menu help, etc., like in Emacs). Maybe you can take a look at this
> once the reference manual for the primitives and style variables
> will be finished.

We'll talk about this when this documentation is finished.

--
                                                            -- ddaa