[Texmacs-dev] The "Creat Web site" issue and a proposed solution

From: Andreas Seidl
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] The "Creat Web site" issue and a proposed solution
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:30:36 +0200 (CEST)

1. The problem

Via Tools->Web->Creat Web site... one can specify a source directory and a destination directory to export a tree of .tm files to .html files. The page [http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/about/artwork.en.html], however, is broken, because only .tm files are copied.

2. First attempt for a solution

I tried to add copying of graphics files to tmweb.scm. I got stuck, however, as I do not know what an url is and what the following
functions do when called by tmweb-convert-dir:

url-append
url-any
url-expand
url-complete
url-wildcard

and there are even more of such functions in the subsequent procedures
tmweb-convert-file-dir and tmweb-convert-file.

3. Thinking about the problem again

I think there is a conceptual problem with tmweb.scm, and adding the functionality to copy some files is not enough.

What files does one want to copy? Well, most precisely all files which are
linked from within a .tm file. But that's difficult to find out, as the
file with the link may not reside in the same directory as the linked
file. And there can be hyperlinks to .pdf files, etc. So it's not possible to decide on a final set of files to be copied.

4. Proposed Solution

Copy all files (recursively) from the source to the destination directory, then generate the exported .html files in the destination directory. (I think it does not hurt to have the .tm files sit in the distination directory next to the .html files).

I think this would allow most people to migrate their webpage to TeXmacs (once the remaining glitches of html export are resolved)

5. One remaining problem

One can't build a web page with TeXmacs and link to a .tm file to download.

Andreas.
--
http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~seidl