Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs gwt front-end

From: Carl Witty
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs gwt front-end
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:51:01 -0800

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 23:49 +0100, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> But it's a long, long way till it becomes as fast as a thin
> layer over X-Windows. As a matter of fact, if you can't
> compile your JavaScript and run the corresponding executable
> file inside your browser, it will *never* happen that it gives
> us the computing power we need. As for me, I'm not aware
> of such plans of implementing JavaScript compilation in
> the main browsers. But it's a classical thing to do, so browser
> implementors will unavoidably think about that, at some
> point. But when ?

The Mozilla project has started on this (based on Adobe's donation of
the JIT-based virtual machine from Flash Player 9):
  http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/
The roadmap says "...to be released in 2008."

Other options for doing intensive computation in a web page include Java
(or other JVM-based languages) or Flash Player 9 (which can be targeted
by ActionScript or Haxe).  I think your best bet for the full TeXmacs
experience in a web browser would be to port TeXmacs to Java, and run it
as an applet; this is a huge amount of work!

On the other hand, I'm actually in the middle of writing a
TeXmacs-inspired browser-based editor; I may have an alpha version in a
few months.  This will display the document using DOM manipulation.  It
will be missing many of the nicer features of TeXmacs (no CAS
integration, no fine typography, no blue outlines showing which blocks
the cursor is in), but I think it may still be usable.

Carl Witty