[Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] [BUGREPORT] Compiling TeXmacs from source on

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] [BUGREPORT] Compiling TeXmacs from source on MacOS
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:19:18 +0100

Martin Costabel wrote:

When I compile texmacs-1.0.6.12 on MacOSX 10.5, this problem is caught by the configure script which has a test for precisely this question. It puts
#define guile_str_size_t size_t
into config.h.

It was not caught by my own configure script. On the
other hand, what you say shows that at least, it works
on some Macs.

This corresponds to what my libguile.17.dylib is using, as witnessed by the corresponding declaration in guile/gh.h:
SCM_API char *gh_scm2newstr(SCM str, size_t *lenp);

Probably again one of these Guile version problems...

  Casting to (int*) enables compiling glue.cpp ;

If this is necessary, the configure script isn't doing its job.

No, it didn't correctly its job. Go figure why ;-(...

2/ the makefile doesn't work, for the version of "ld"
  shipped with Mac OS X on the machine I had doesn't
  understands the "-rpath" option inside -lW (explicitely,
  it tells me : I don't recognize "-rpath") ;

On MacOSX 10.4 and earlier, -rpath was indeed unknown.

Aha.

On MacOSX 10.5 it exists as an ld flag, but it will probably not do what you think it does. Searching for shared libraries works differently on MacOSX than on linux.

In which part of the sources does this problem appear?

It was in the main makefile.

Finally, I patched src/src/makefile (I just removed
all occurrences of "-rpath", or something like that),
and all went fine.

I see -rpath in the CONFIG_BPATH variable, but again, configure sets this to "" on MacOSX, and uses -rpath only on linux.

It didn't do it on the Mac I was working on yesterday.

I see it also in the maple plugin, but also only in the context of linux.

No no, it has nothing to do with the plugins.

What sources are these? Not those of texmacs-1.0.6.12, it seems.

I downloaded the source tarball for "last stable
version", on the page:
http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/sources.en.html

at:
ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/pub/TeXmacs/targz/TeXmacs-1.0.6-src.tar.gz

That's the link on the page. If things have
been improved since then, perhaps should it
be updated (?).