[Texmacs-dev] Speedup in startup time

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Speedup in startup time
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:51:31 +0200

Hi there,

I just tried to do some profiling of TeXmacs and managed to produce a small but
significant speedup in the startup time: from 2.0 sec to 1.8 sec (averaged over
several runs of "time texmacs -q").

Turns out that quite some time was spent in frequent calls to the routine
implemented as

-------
inline bool is_none (url u) { return u->t == tuple ("none"); }
-------

replacing this by a comparison with a global variable initialized just once.
Attached is a tiny patch that implements this change.

Far more important than this change itself, however, is the general question
that it poses: how many more objects are there in the code that are initialized
from a constant string over and over again? How much efficiency could we gain
from a global symbol table that is initialized just once?

Greetings,
Norbert