[Texmacs-dev] General efficiency of TeXmacs

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] General efficiency of TeXmacs
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:11:23 +0100

Hi there,

after doing a bit more profiling, I am beginning to realize just *how* inefficient some of the central C++ code in TeXmacs is:

a) For the central data types (string, tree, etc), nearly all routines should be defined as "inline" in the header files. The cleanest and simplest solution that I see would be to introduce additional files like string.inc.hpp that contain many of the routines that are currently defined in string.cpp and include this at the end of string.hpp. That way, the header file would not become cluttered, but the compiler could still do heavy inlining on these routines.

b) Profiling indicates that the program spends a tremendous amount of time on reference counting and deallocation. Moving to a garbage collector would significantly simplify the code and should result in quite some speedup. Especially for interactive programs, garbage collection is the fastest memory management strategy available since all the collecting is simply happening in idle time and the time critical code does not need to worry about deallocation at all.

c) The string class is a significant bottleneck. Every time a (char*) is converted, the data is copied to a newly allocated location. In most cases, this could be avoided by simply copying a pointer. This would mean that the string_rep class would need to carry a flag on whether the space is "owned" (and should be deallocated) or just "borrowed". I certainly is a non-trivial task to sort this out, but I believe it would be the single-most-rewarding detail in optimizing for performance.

... just my analysis for the moment. I know that it would mean significant work to work on any of this...

Greetings,
Norbert