[Texmacs-dev] Version control and collaboration

From: Peter Rapčan
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Version control and collaboration
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:09:36 +0100

Hi everyone,

I am not sure whether this is the right place for my post, but let me say the following.

I recently tried a current version of Lyx and I was impressed by how version control works - at least on a Mac OS X system it works out of the box, absolutely no setup is needed. That is, if you have Xcode installed (again with no setup), lyx uses the version control system used by xcode. Could this functionality (open source code) be just taken from Lyx and applied easily into texmacs?

Speaking of version control, collaboration comes to my mind. I recall reading something on plans having a texmacs server to facilitate this. Does anyone has info on when this is going to happen? I have seen a demo on google wave technology (open-source and extensible collaboration) recently... and with that in mind, could one maybe use their technology (writing a texmacs extension for wave or, even better, vice versa, using wave functionality from within texmacs)?

Sorry, I am not a "real" programmer, so maybe my suggestions are naive and most probably you are all more informed than I am. It just seems to be a logical thing not to invent a wheel, but use what seems to be promising and evolving quickly...

Cheers,

Peter