Re: [Texmacs-dev] Why not use unicode?

From: François Poulain
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Why not use unicode?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 11:33:12 +0200

Hi,

Le Sun, 23 Sep 2012 02:09:25 +0800,
"≠±1∥" <address@hidden> a écrit :

> 1. I cannot copy text containing
> Chinese character to TeXmacs. It just gives me many question marks
> like "???texmacs???".

This sounds like a bug. Could you please fill a bug report, and give
all needed details about your system configuration, in order to allow
us to reproduce the problem ?
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=texmacs

> 2.switching between Latin fonts and Chinese fonts is very annoying.
> When I'm writing Chinese characters, I have to switch to Chinese
> fonts.Or I will get many red number. I think if TeXmacs can
> auto-switch to a default Chinese font when i'm writing Chinese
> character, It will be better.

The "red numbers" means that the character is not available in the
choosen font. Imho it should be desirable, for each font, to define a
"fallback font" to typeset unavailable characters.

> 3.The Chinese characters are stored in the way like <#3333> in the
> *.tm files. why not just use unicode?

Afaik, it *is* unicode. :) But it is not utf8. Historically, the
charset used inside TeXmacs is Cork, which is a old TeX encoding
scheme, designed for western european languages.

Migrating TeXmacs internals to utf8 is a quite desirable task; but a
long and non trivial task.

François

--
François Poulain <address@hidden>

La connaissance tue l'action, parce que l'action exige qu'on se voile
dans l'illusion. -+-Friedrich Nietzsche, La Naissance de la tragédie -+-