Re: [Texmacs-dev] virtualbox images?

From: Gubinelli Massimiliano
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] virtualbox images?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:30:15 +0100

Hi all,

On 12 Feb 2013, at 22:45, Michael Lachmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12 February 2013 12:17, Miguel de Benito Delgado
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I use Parallels, which I find considerably superior to VirtualBox, under
>> MacOS at least. It's more stable, integrates perfectly with the system, has
>> "coherence" mode which is very handy, and many other things which just make
>> it better. It's not free, though.

Virtualbox works fine for me (and it is free). I use mainly to test Ubuntu and
sometimes Windows. For Windows you can set up quite easily a cross-dev
environment in Linux or Mac using MXE (http://mxe.cc)

On the Mac I compile myself all the library needed (from gmp to qt) without
relying in MacPort or similar. You find the necessary material in
misc/tm-devel-mac (is based on the makefiles for MXE).

> If we're already talking about virtual images.
>
> I can mount my TeXmacs svn directory from linux, or use it from OSX.
> For now, to build the version for the respective platform, I do a full
> switch... make clean; configure, make; make install
> It would be nice if I could switch more easily between platforms. I
> could have two separate source trees, but then it wouldn't be as easy
> to make sure they are synced.
>
> It is somehow possible to compile for two different platforms on the
> same source tree?

the makefile does not support out-of-place builds. Some times ago I wrote an
incomplete patch to support this style of compilation but it is non-trivial to
suppport correctly the make process for the plugins: a better separation of the
platform dependent files and the sources would be needed. So the patch remained
in the limbo. I still have it on some of my machines but I'm not sure it is up
to date. Now I just check out different trees or use a local git repository as
Miguel suggested.

I agree that for development a better out-of-place build support would be
needed.

best
max

ps: if you are interested I attach it to the mail but I didn't applied it since
2 years or so some maybe it requires some tweaking.