Re: [Texmacs-dev] MathBox - A GNU Linux VirtualBox Virtual Guest Applian

From: David E. Miller
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] MathBox - A GNU Linux VirtualBox Virtual Guest Appliance (aka "a virtual machine")
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 02:35:46 -0400

Dear all:

The MathBox-12.10.zip archive file that includes the MathBox-12.10.ova file (used to import the VM), INSTALL and other README files is available for download from:

https://mega.co.nz/#!kgNSFDob!RtjfzhIHGiQEqke3NHLSgmeIUGclCT-eO7lKknO0LGU
<https://mega.co.nz/#%21kgNSFDob%21RtjfzhIHGiQEqke3NHLSgmeIUGclCT-eO7lKknO0LGU>

An SHA256SUM hash file that may be used to check this ZIP archive file after downloading is available at:

https://mega.co.nz/#!dpsCjSZL!PU198iNkPm9D1KUX6Ej9wxADWVJOzD3PU2PfM_FLDoM
<https://mega.co.nz/#%21dpsCjSZL%21PU198iNkPm9D1KUX6Ej9wxADWVJOzD3PU2PfM_FLDoM>

The ZIP archive file is 3.19 GB in size. Bring some coffee. I don't have a TAR GZIP (tgz) version yet, but I'm working on it.

The hosting site recommends Google Chrome for best downloading results. Other browsers should work.

I strongly recommend that you clone the VM after importing using the VirtualBox Host VM Manager program. Then you do not have to worry if you do something to your cloned copy that is irreversibly bad for some reason. Just clone another from the original. Thus there should be no reason to have to download the original again or re-import the original which are both other options. You may also clone a cloned VM and VirtualBox has a snapshot feature that you may want to use to back out of a change to your system. See the built-in VirtualBox Help menu about using snapshots.

The username is : mathboxuser
The default password is: password (you can change this if you know how)

There is a README folder on the desktop which has some relevant information. Refer to the README-FIRST file there. It is recommended that you keep all "working files" in a folder on a USB drive or using Shared Folders on of the host machine. This will allow you to access those files from other VMs or from your host system and minimize the possibility of having them marooned on your VM. See the SHARED-FOLDERS-HOW-TO file or refer to the VirtualBox Help for information about mounting USB devices using a VM. There is also a MathBox documentation folder with some information relevant to the individual software tools.

The ZIP archive includes an INSTALL file. On most host systems you can import the VM merely by double-clicking on the MathBox-12.10.ova file after extracting from the ZIP archive.

If you want to install the latest TeXmacs version I recommend that the installed version is removed (use Synaptics Package Manager) and then compiled and installed from source -- using make this and that. You also might find a .deb file somewhere for the latest version instead. If you compile from source you may have to edit the desktop and menu .desktop files to point them to the new TeXmacs executable. I'm not sure that it will still be in the PATH. Click on the desktop icon after installing from source and if the program launches then no changes should be required.

sudo lxmed gets you into the menu editor. The desktop program links can be edited directly.

Contact me at: address@hidden if there are any issues or questions. Please read all the READMEs first.

David Miller