Re: [Texmacs-dev] Russian language support

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Russian language support
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:44:31 +0100

Hi,

  as far as I can tell, the reason is that upcase_first() is not working
because it is being called with a cork string inside
dictionary_rep::translate(). Some time ago, the utf8 strings from the
dictionary where being (wrongly) passed around internally, causing problems in
other places. Now dictionary_rep::load() calls utf8_to_cork() on russian as
well as some other languages, thus causing upcase_first to stop working.

  The fix is either not to call utf8_to_cork for russian (which would be wrong
because everywhere the assumption is made or should be that the internal
encoding is cork), or to fix upcase_first() to require a parameter with the
encoding (which IMHO it should).

  A related issue is that I dislike the way these automatic manipulations are
done with the translations: sometimes they are ok, sometimes they are not: the
default up-casing will be wrong in some cases, so we shouldn't rely on it. At
any rate they impose a rigid mechanism. I think it'd be best to translate
strings exactly to what it's required and not to rely on automagic, i.e. there
should be two translation strings, one for "file", another for "File". Besides,
I doubt that "file" is (legitimately) used anywhere: the trick with splitting
strings and translating their parts should be deprecated for sentences like "3
files left". In these situations, the strings in the code should look like "%1
files left" and the translated strings like "%1 Dateien verbleibend" or
whatever.

Best,
--
Miguel de Benito.