Re: [Therion] Nesting surveys

From: Andrew Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Therion] Nesting surveys
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:39:08 -0000

I think I understand that using the global dataset would work, however, this
means that everything has to be tided into the global dataset from the
start. For various reasons this is not going to be possible (well not in the
near future.) I was also hoping to be able to send distinct sections out,
without sending the whole dataset out, eg just send the folder darkside out
and someone would be able to edit it. Also I like to try to have data as
simple to change as possible. For example when a cave has been misnamed I
could just change a couple of references and that would be it, I am thinking
of situations of when a small cave is linked to a large system and then is
just an area of that system. If the full global reference is used in the th2
files this would not be possible.

Also if I understand you correctly, I would have to edit every station name
in all the th2 file.

>From a users point of view, a possible solution is to use some sort of
prefix name - endprefix that would use the survex naming structure ie add
name.* to all the stations. Similar to the survey name - endsurvey, however
using the survex naming structure. Then people nesting using survex .3d
files would have to include files at various levels with the following
syntax

import survexfile.3d -surveys use

prefix name1
input filename1.th2
endprefix

prefix name2
input filename2.th2
endprefix

Possibly not as neat as we would like, but might mean that the 2 programs
are more compatible.

Thanks

Andrew