tiger-user

[Tiger-user] Additional Checks

From: Bob Hall
Subject: [Tiger-user] Additional Checks
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:27:49 -0800 (PST)

I'd like to propose a few additions to the security checks
being performed by TIGER. These don't appear to be in release
2.2.4, but they could well be in later releases (or I could
easily be mistaken.) At any rate it can't hurt to post them
here.

* Find .exrc files that are not in user home directories;
  particularly in the system directories. The vi command will
  look for a .exrc in your current directory, and this can be
  used as an exploit.
* Check /etc/ftpusers for vendor-supplied accounts. Compare the
  passwd entries to a list of known vendor account names and
  uid's, then see if they are in the /etc/ftpusers file. (For
  example, we have adm, bin, daemon, hpdb, lp, nobody, nuucp,
  root, sys, and uucp in the ftpusers file.)
* Check if any local file systems are being exported to
  'localhost'. Also check if the local host is in a netgroups
  entry in its own exports file.
* Look for (unexpected) normal files under /dev.
* Check for user startup files that call 'umask' with weak
  settings. (Should be 022 or 027.)
* Check that '-' is not the first character in a /etc/hosts.equiv
  /etc/hosts.lpd, or .rhosts files. Also check for a '+' entry in
  hosts.lpd file.
* Look for invalid comment entries in .rhosts files. (Some users
  add "comments" that turn out to be invalid, thereby potentially
  permitting unauthorized access.)
* If a system allows it, check for an /etc/shells file and look
  if the permitted shells are in the system directories.