tiger-user

[Tiger-user] pattern of messages from tigercron

From: alex black
Subject: [Tiger-user] pattern of messages from tigercron
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 00:46:18 -0700 (MST)

hi all,

I'm using tiger (among other things of course) to perform a daily audit of the
security of a number of servers I run.

Most of the other systems that run from cron follow the same "once daily
report" mail pattern. For example, tripwire sends a mail with a summary of
changed files & errors, if any.

I have to say, even having taken a look at the tiger source a bit, I am still
mystified what the logic of tigercron's mail habits are. I get these random
messages with snippets of information, some labeled "OLD" etc - some warning me
that postfix is listening on port 25, some telling me something genuinely
useful.. but I never get the sense that any of the messages are a complete
report. Anyway it's fairly confusing and *seems* useless - as opposed to the
reports that tiger generates, which are extremely easy to read, clear, etc.

So, I'm writing to see if there's anyone on the list who is running tiger from
cron so that it will report once daily on its findings (or not at all if there
are no findings, which would be great). If no one is, I'm seriously considering
just running a cronjob which generates a report, reading the report, doing a
diff between the current and last report, and sending the diff contents if they
aren't empty.

Btw, every single other feature of tiger is fantastic, I use it constantly and
love it. Along with tripwire, nessus and a few others it really helps me to
maintain strict security on the servers I run.

thanks,

_alex