tiger-user

[Tiger-user] Problem With check_perms Script under Linux

From: Doug Peterson
Subject: [Tiger-user] Problem With check_perms Script under Linux
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:23:44 -0500

I was not sure whether to file a bug report or to post issues to this list
first in
case there really was not a bug to report.  I am running Debian Linux Sarge.
The version number on Tiger from the Debian package is 3.2.1.  However,
when I compare the contents on downloads directly from Savannah the
Debian distribution seems a lot more like 3.2.2.

The problem I had was with check_perms.  It basically appeared as if it was
not doing anything at all.  There is a bug report that may be this issue:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?7085

However, I am not sure how to browse anything other than the main trunk in
the CVS repository so I cannot look at the proposed changes there that were
mentioned in the bug report.  The last change to check_perms was prior to
that bug report.

The issue is around line 186:

[ ! $TESTLINK '$filename' ] && [ -f '$filename' -o -d '$filename' ] &&

The single quotes around $filename are preventing expansion so I would
understand the check to be against the literal string $filename instead of the
actual filename.  The quick fix I made was to replace it with double quotes.
It appears to be working fine now.

If this should be reported separately than the bug report above, I would be
happy to do that.  I have some other issues or questions around
check_perms and file_access_list which I will slowly get around to reporting.

Thank you,

Doug Peterson