Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC 0.9.22

From: Neil Bradley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC 0.9.22
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:05:19 -0800 (PST)

> > Just out of curiosity, have you considered distributing binary versions of
> > tcc, or is that not done to weed out the casual user who can't compile
> > their own tcc? ;-)
> This is just a question of lack of time. Moreover there are already
> packages for Debian and Red Hat.

I was speaking more as non-Linux users like myself. The *BSD crowd would
greatly appreciate the mindset and quality that tcc offers over gcc. Out
of the box, tcc doesn't compile under FreeBSD 5.2.1:

[SYNTHCOM->nb: 1038] ./configure
Binary  directory   /usr/local/bin
Library directory   /usr/local/lib
Include directory   /usr/local/include
Manual directory    /usr/local/man
Doc directory       /usr/local/share/doc/tcc
Source path      /usr/home/nb/tcc
C compiler       gcc
make             make
CPU              x86
Big Endian       no
gprof enabled    no
Creating config.mak and config.h
config.h is unchanged

[SYNTHCOM->nb: 1039] make
gcc -O2 -g -Wall -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i386 -falign-functions=0
-o tcc_g  -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldl
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/nb/tcc

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with gcc (or the differences in make or
tools)  to know how to fix the problem. ;-( But I'm certain that a minor
tweak will get it to work fine.

I can compile tcc if I just do a "gcc tcc.c", but I'm not entirely certain
that that's the right thing to do. It does compile and appears to run, but
doing so is how I got the segfault I mentioned before.

-->Neil

Neil Bradley             "The true axis of evil in America is the brilliance of
Synthcom Systems, Inc.    our marketing combined with the stupidity of our
                          people.." -  Bill Maher