Re: [Tinycc-devel] HELP: __attribute__ ((packed)) confusion

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] HELP: __attribute__ ((packed)) confusion
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:28:03 -0500

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 01:55:40AM -0800, Christopher Dobbs wrote:
[...]
> This structure as shown above, compiles under gcc at 512 bytes, but no
> matter what I try, I get 516 bytes under tcc.

For this code:

#define PACKED __attribute__ ((__packed__))

typedef struct {                        // 512 byte header
 unsigned char PACKED bc[3];                  // Boot Code Signature
 unsigned char PACKED signature[8];           // signature string "LIBV10"
 unsigned long PACKED dir;                    // offset of first dir block
 unsigned long PACKED freechain;              // offset of first block
 unsigned long PACKED eof;                    // offset of end of freechain
 unsigned char PACKED label[41];              // Volume Label
 unsigned long PACKED attr;                   // Volume Attributes
 char          PACKED passcode[16];           // Volume Password
 unsigned char PACKED fill[428];              // Filler
} header;

I get sizeof(header) as 512 under tcc 0.9.22.  I have a couple of small
patches applied to tcc but they shouldn't affect packing/alignment.
If you're having problems, try printing the offsetof() each field and see
where it doesn't match the requested alignment.

                                                  -Dave Dodge