Re: [Tinycc-devel] Proposal for handling alloca(). Anyone see a problem

From: Philippe Ribet
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Proposal for handling alloca(). Anyone see a problem with it?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:41:30 +0200

David A. Wheeler wrote:

Daniel Glöckner:
To save some stack space, we could do locSaved=loc
when a new block is parsed and set locMin=min(loc,locSaved) at the end
of the block. Then in the function epilog we patch the value of locMin
into the prolog.

Reusing stack space from different sub-blocks would be nice.  It's probably not
even that hard to make better use of stack space, though I haven't looked.

My personal point of view is that any project should keep the initial spirit who guided the initial design. It's necessary in order to be coherent, else the project turns into something very different.

The initial goal of tcc is to be very fast and very small. Adding optimiser capabilities will make the code bigger, harder to understand and maintain, tcc runing slower... I think it will be another project.

For optimising purpose, why not starting a new branch or a new fork? tccO?

Just my 2 cents,

--
Philippe Ribet

                        The README file said
             "Requires Windows 95, NT 4.0, or better."
                   So... I installed it on Linux!