Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tinycc-devel Digest, Vol 129, Issue 4

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tinycc-devel Digest, Vol 129, Issue 4
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 09:58:43 +0800

Le vendredi 3 janvier 2014, 20:22:29 Graham Swallow a écrit :
> You can link an LGPL library into a proprietary binary, PROVIDED,
> the end user can relink the same LGPL library into a similar binary.
>
> You need to provide your binary as a link-kit, to allow this.
> With symbols, and a makefile. A pre-built .exe is what the installer uses.
> They can then relink with an adjusted LGPL library.

I was surprised at first when reading this as I always thought LGPL can only be
legally linked with a non LGPL compatible with dynamic linking but then I read
section 6.a of LGPL which explains you can do this provided you distribute the
binary code of the application without the library so that the user can create
a binary out of the library + that code.

> This has always raised question of inline functions and macros,
> especially with C++, but that is the nature of the language.
>
> Its still advantageous to the OSS community,
> because the LGPL components get support, USED, etc,

That's the intent of this license. I don't know if it's always true though (no
judgement here, just stating that I don't know).

> Graham

Thanks for your valuable comment.

Best regards,

Thomas