Re: [Tinycc-devel] AArch64 status?

From: Edmund Grimley Evans
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] AArch64 status?
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 08:34:57 +0000

> He is my first attempt. It compiles well and first tcc "Hello World" works
> but first libtest test fails with tcc: error: R_AARCH64_(JUMP|CALL)26
> relocation failed (val=2a4025f0, addr=401990).

You're one of the first people to try it.

I'm not very surprised by that error. I vaguely recall that there are
some fundamental problems in the linker, problems that are not
specific to arm64 but which happen to appear mostly with arm64. I
tested it just now under QEMU on an i386 machine, and all tests
passed, which shows that the code generation is mostly complete.

The error above has to do with a B/BL being out of range. If you try
the test lots of times then you might find it occasionally passes
because the target code happened to get allocated within range.
The linker ought to insert a veneer, but it doesn't.

I'm not sure what the status is of VLAs. I just had 78_vla_label and
79_vla_continue pass, though vla_test-run (in tests/Makefile) is only
run on x86-64, suggesting that those tests are not supposed to pass on
arm64.

Do you have any failures other than those three (libtest, 78, 79)?

Edmund