Re: [Tinycc-devel] Governance (Re: cleanups)

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Governance (Re: cleanups)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 19:32:52 +0200

Gentlemen,

I will don’t blame anybody here, especially Grischka that does an amazing job.

The real issue I see with most computer languages having ports on different systems and processors is that they lack of compressive test suite and tcc is not an exception.

Here, I’m not talking about the few tests that exist in tinycc/test/.

If someone pushes a commit, how and when will we see that it has broken a major piece of code, like gawk, on Aarch64 or my OpenLisp compiler on Windows x64 for example?

The major difficulty with a language is that it is used to compile programs we have never seen.

Ideally, we should have a farm (as https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm) that nightly compiles tcc on ALL supported platforms THEN uses this tcc version to compile a selected number of open source project that are known to compile with tcc THEN run test suite of those projects.

That’s why I’m trying to help this project by compiling, running tests, compiling my own Lisp on as much machine/system I have access on.

Unless obvious, I avoid to push anything that may break something. I prefer to ask.

For a project like this, we should never remove something, especially line of code, files or tests unless we are absolutely sure. If something is there, this is probably for a very good reason. The good attitude is at least to ping community about a questionable feature.

For every commit I make for my Lisp, I compile OpenLisp with 17 compiler/version/options just on Windows and for each of them I run 30000 lines of test.

Every 3 month or so, I build OpenLisp on:

openlisp-10.2.0-AIX-powerpc.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Darwin-i386.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Darwin-powerpc.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Darwin-x86_64.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-FreeBSD-arm.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-FreeBSD-x86_64.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-armv6l.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-armv7l.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-i686.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-powerpc.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-powerpc64.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-powerpc64le.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-sparc.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-sparc64.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-x86_64.tar.gz

openlisp-10.2.0-NetBSD-i686.tar.gz