Re: [Tinycc-devel] building older gcc with tcc?

From: u-jps5
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] building older gcc with tcc?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 14:58:32 +0200

Hello,

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 11:57:54AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> I would like to build an older version of the gcc compiler using tcc (then
> use that to build newer gcc's).
> On this page <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_C_Compiler#Uses> it says
> that tcc was used to build gcc in the past.
>
> I'm having trouble doing that and I wanted to ask if anybody knows the way
> to do it? Thanks!
>
> -------------------
>
> I tried using the latest http://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git to build gcc 4.7.0

As "an older version of the gcc compiler" I would suggest taking something
like gcc-2.95.3 (or even egcs-1.1.2).

If your purpose is compiler bootstrapping, there are also other routes,
like [ack ->] [pcc ->] [egcs ->] gcc-2 -> gcc-4 -> ...

(If you are doing a real reproducible bootstrapping, you will also have to
choose binutils versions which can be build by the corresponding older
compiler versions and at the same time good enough for the next compiler
version, same for the C library, make, sed, even shell and expr, to name
a few. It is perfectly doable but not something for a faint-hearted.)

Good luck!