[Tinycc-devel] GOT entries and adding elf symbols

From: Charles Lohr
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] GOT entries and adding elf symbols
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 21:25:49 -0400

I'm at maybe 50% for "_javascript_-gen.c" outputting functional _javascript_ from C.  I'm finding this to be a useful learning mechanism to see how calls are made to/from the internals of TCC.  I think it's gonna be well good enough to make a youtube video explaining a chunk of how TCC works!

I'm completely stuck at this final output stage, though.

I'm not sure how to tell the elf engine where functions begin+end, or how to tell it about other important symbols. I don't see anything in the existing *_gen.c files that would indicate how this is done.

Additionally, since I'm not outputting any, the elf engine just crashes because s1->got->reloc is null in "for_each_elem(s1->got->reloc, 0, rel, ElfW_Rel)"  is that a bug?

TL;DR:

(1) GOTs are needed on non-x86 arch's are they?  Regardless, "should" TCC be able to compile without any GOT entries?

(2) How do I mark off function start/end to the elf subsystem?

(3) What, other than functions do I need to tell the elf subsystem?

(4) I am hoping to make two of my own symbol types, instead of piggybacking off another arch's.  Can I do this?  Or is there reason to use many more types of symbols?

Charles