tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Re: Tnx for TLF!

From: rein couperus PA0RCT
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Re: Tnx for TLF!
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:19:21 +0200

Hello Giuliano,

glad you like the program... Sorry for the late answer, but I just returned
from a week's holiday in southern Germany, including the ham radio fair..

I copy my answer to the mailing list, as this is quite a common problem...

On Saturday 28 June 2003 21:37, you wrote:
> Hi Rein!
> I am a new user from TLF. I whis to congratulate to you for
> the very good job you are doing to create this interesting program!
> I would want to insert also the main Italian contest.. ARI Dx, Contest
> 80/40 ecc..I have only some small questions to ask to you, the first:
> I have configurated the logcfg.dat for connections via telnet to Dx Cluster
> and run TLF with " : ". From this moments the keys , up_arrow down_arrow
> left_arrow and right_arrow, not work correctly. It's no possible to change
> the band, editing the 5 previus qso.. ecc. Appars, in the call input field,
> this letters:
> whit the up_arrow -->  A
> whit the down_arrow --> B
> whit the right_arrow --> C
> whit the left_arrow --> D
> It' this normally? And what is the command for returning in the normally
> operations whit the keys arrow? With anything connections via telnet
> the key works regularly..

This is normal when you run tlf from a regular XTERM :-)
In Xterm the arrow keys and F1 ... F5 are not working correctly for tlf.
Unfortunately a lot of the terminal software under X is derived from Xterm.

There are 3 solutions:

1. Use a linux text terminal. Tlf was written for the linux text terminal (the
screen you get before X is started)

2. Use Konsole under KDE and set the keyboard to linux and the colour scheme
to VIM colours or System colours ( the latter are the same as for the linux
text terminal, but I like the VIM colours better..)
To get rid of the problem with the arrow keys set TERM=rxvt

3. Use rxvt under X, KDE or whatever and change the colours and the keys to
the standard needed for tlf (rxvt is a child of xterm, and is part of most
distributions).

This is how to run tlf in a rxvt:

Add the following information to .Xdefaults (you have to restart X for it to
have effect), which will set the right colours for tlf, and also take care of
the function keys problem. Now you can start tlf with: tlf -x to get rxvt
compatibility.
You can also set a parameter RXVT in logcfg.dat.

The stuff for .Xdefaults:
! ===========================================================================
!       Rxvt Colours and keys for compatibility with linux console
! ===========================================================================
!

        Rxvt*color0:    #000000
        Rxvt*color1:    #FFFFFF
        Rxvt*color2:    #00A800
        Rxvt*color3:    #FFFF00
        Rxvt*color4:    #0000A8
        Rxvt*color5:    #A800A8
        Rxvt*color6:    #00A8A8
        Rxvt*color7:    #D8D8D8
        Rxvt*color8:    #000000
        Rxvt*color9:    #FFFFFF
        Rxvt*color10:   #00A800
        Rxvt*color11:   #FFFF00
        Rxvt*color12:   #0000A8
        Rxvt*color13:   #A800A8
        Rxvt*color14:   #00A8A8
        Rxvt*color15:   #D8D8D8

        ! set terminal

        Rxvt*termName:  rxvt

        ! set window title

        Rxvt*title: tlf

        ! set geometry

        Rxvt*geometry:  80x25

        ! switch scrollbar off

        Rxvt*scrollBar: False

        ! set function keys F1...F5 to linux console

        Rxvt*keysym.0xFFBE:     \033[[A
        Rxvt*keysym.0xFFBF:     \033[[B
        Rxvt*keysym.0xFFC0:     \033[[C
        Rxvt*keysym.0xFFC1:     \033[[D
        Rxvt*keysym.0xFFC2:     \033[[E
! ===========================================================================
This will give the VIM colours (the one you see in the tlfdoc.html file).

The second questions:
> It's possible send me one example for the clfile? I would be connect the
> cluster via packet radio with the ax25 tools. My cluster connect whit:
> call kiss0 ik4iee-6 via ir3tn-2
> I have editing this string in the clfile, but not work anything! The tools
> call not work..

O.k...
If you use the ax25 tools, you connect tlf to packet via the FIFO_INTERFACE,
not via the telnet client. You can do this as follows:

Start a new terminal in the tlf working directory and start call
(call kiss0 ik4iee-6 via ir3tn-2)
Log the cluster information in clfile (clfile is a fifo, so it can have more
than 1 input). The command in call is ~o clfile.

In logcfg.dat set FIFO_INTERFACE
Start tlf and go into the normal wirking screen with :
Thats all... after a short while you see all info from the cluster copied to
the tlf cluster/spots/bandmap windows....

You can send info to the cluster in the window for call....

> Sorry for my very BAD English..

Sorry, but your english is VERY good...
> I would be glad if you could give me some news..
> Vy tnx and 73 de in3klq (Giuliano)

Hope this helps....

Rein PA0RCT

(I will be on holiday the next 2 weeks (PA0RCT/M), so if you have questions
please ask them on the list so somebody can help you (studying the manual may
also help :)

(Of course we can integrate the italian contests also.... (but after my
holidays :))

Email: address@hidden or address@hidden