tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] [Fwd: problem with sound recordings?]

From: Doug Smith W9WI
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] [Fwd: problem with sound recordings?]
Date: 02 Mar 2005 11:35:37 -0600

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 08:14, Pat N8VW wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 07:45:02AM -0600, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
> > > I was thinking about using TLF for the ARRL DX SSB this weekend, but...
> > > can't get the sound recordings to work.
>
> You need to set the file names in the rules file.  I just tried and the
> this worked, the only thing to note is that I had to have a space before
> the file name
>
> ex:
> VKM1= /home/pat/tlf/cq.wav
>      ^ space

That got me a lot closer, thanks!

It looks like the space is necessary because in audio.c there is no
space after the device name when the string passed to "rec" is
assembled.  If you don't have a space in the rules file, it tries to
record to device "/dev/dsp/home/w9wi/arrldxssb2005/f1.wav".

Problem is, if you *do* have the space in the rules file, then when you
try to play back the recording it looks for a literal space as the first
character of the filename & can't find it.

I've hacked audio.c, adding a "strcat(commands, " ");" in the
appropriate place for each F-key.  This allows you to set the filename
in the rules file without the leading space, so that record works with
the same filename that works for playback.

I also found that it was playing back the wrong F-keys.  I'd press F4
and it would play the recording for F7, etc...   It turns out that
ph_message is declared ph_message[14][80] in audio.c and main.c, but
ph_message[14][40] in several other places.  I hacked these other files
so it's declared [14][80] everywhere, and now the right audio files
play.  The files in question are:

        autocq.c
        callinput.c
        getexchange.c
        logit.c
        parse_logcfg.c
        sendspcall.c

I'm afraid I've still got a problem in that when a F-key message
finishes playing, TLF exits with an "invalid command" message.  Which
was affected by something I did; before I did the changes to the
ph_message declarations it was exiting with a "segmentation fault"
instead.

I'm not sure about the proper etiquette for submitting such patches...
this being the first time I've tried to modify someone else's source
code.  I've posted a "diff" file and a gzipped tarball containing my
changed versions of the above .c files on my website:

http://www.w9wi.com/software/tlf.02mar2005.diff
http://www.w9wi.com/software/tlf.02mar2005.tgz

Be gentle, I'm a novice at this C stuff!  (and understand that the
changes I made may very well be the wrong way to do them, and might even
cause more problems elsewhere than they fix!)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66