tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] tlf 1.2.1 qso mode

From: Pierfrancesco Caci
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] tlf 1.2.1 qso mode
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 13:47:50 +0200

Hi Ervin

    Ervin> Hello Pierfrancesco,
    Ervin> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 09:16:06AM +0200, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >> I'm trying version 1.2.1 in qso mode, and I've noticed that I can't
    >> select non-HF bands (50 or 144 MHz). If I move to those bands from the
    >> radio, I get the following qso.log content:
    >>
    >> address@hidden:~$ cat qso.log
    >> 0001CW  25-May-14 07:00 0001  T3ST          599  599
       50080.0
    >> 0001CW  25-May-14 07:00 0001  PR0VA         599  599
       50080.0
    >> 0001CW  25-May-14 07:02 0001  F00BAR        599  599
       145227.
    >> address@hidden:~

    Ervin> well, Tlf can be used on only HF, it doesn't support other bands.
    Ervin> It can works on 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 meters, and WARC bands.

Noted. I've never encountered this before, because I've always used tlf
for hf contests. Today I tried the general logging mode (qso mode) and
noticed that it lets me select "next band" but then it fails on it.
My suggestion would be, since there are plenty of HF+50 radios around,
to support these bands, but if it can't be done, can it skip the
unsupported bands when pressing left and right arrows? Could it possibly
report an error when the radio is on an unsupported band?

    Ervin> As you can see, the band is on the log is 0001 - which is an
    Ervin> incorrect value. These are the correct values:

    Ervin> address@hidden:~/.tlf/wpx2014$ cut -b1-5 wpx.log | sort -n | uniq
    Ervin>  10CW
    Ervin>  15CW
    Ervin>  20CW
    Ervin>  40CW
    Ervin>  80CW
    Ervin> 160CW

    >> When I try to start tlf again, I get this error:
    >>
    >> Using contest rules file: /usr/local/share/tlf/rules/qso
    >> No valid log line in line  1
    >> Giving up

    Ervin> yes, because the 0001 is invalid value.

    Ervin> Looks like the write method is checked, but Tlf can't read that
    Ervin> line... May be that's a bug - I'll see soon.

I've noticed there's an alignment problem too, compare these two lines:

0001CW  25-May-14 07:08 0001  F00BAR        599  599
145227.
160CW  25-May-14 07:09 0001  BL4AH          599  599
 1830.0

See how the first line (which was on 2m) uses one extra char.

    >> The frequency display in the main screen also goes beyond the right
    >> border, see http://snoopy.tippete.net/~ik5pvx/tlf-vhf.png for a
    >> screenshot.

    Ervin> yes.

    Ervin> The freq is showed, that's good, but it's independent by any
    Ervin> other things - it works because Tlf were compiled with hamlib,
    Ervin> and hamlib can read's the VFO freq - that's passed to Tlf, it's
    Ervin> not more than a float number.

    Ervin> Another important thing: the last field in logfile is the freq,
    Ervin> which stored on 7 characters, so the correct value on higher
    Ervin> thatn 9999 kHz is not accurate.

7 chars would be fine if one doesn't care about the decimals. I don't
see that as a big deal.

    Ervin> If you want to usean ncurses based logger on Linux, let's try the
    Ervin> Tucnak:
    Ervin> http://tucnak.nagano.cz/wiki/Main_Page

    Ervin> But I don't know does it support 50MHz...

Yeah, I know tucnak, I haven't done a contest on 6m or 2m in a long
while though, so I haven't used it recently.
I was more thinking that tlf could be useful for a dxpedition, and those
sometimes cover up to 6m.

Pf

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx