torsion-dev

Re: [Torsion-dev] Torsion 0.0.18 released

From: Dan Helfman
Subject: Re: [Torsion-dev] Torsion 0.0.18 released
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:30:45 -0800

Geoffrey Plitt wrote:
Dan,

Congrats on the release. Looking forward to checking it out. Let me
know if there are any more easily-chunked tasks I can do, and I may be
up for more algorithmical or research-based stuff. I liked the
checkpoint optimisation, smart stuff.

Geoff

Thanks! It was definitely nice to get this release out after what seemed like endless bug-stomping. One particularly non-glamorous but various granular task I can think of right off the bat is to improve the unit test framework and/or write unit tests for various Torsion components. Right now any tests have to be compiled into and then invoked from within the Torsion kernel, but it would be really useful to be able to, say, run a suite of unit tests for the hash table class from outside the kernel, e.g. from Linux. If this sounds at all interesting, you may want to take a stab at it.

Also, there is a lot of x86-specific code interspersed throughout the kernel. It would be very nice to have at least some of this code factored out into a separate directory, not only to make the code cleaner but to make an eventual port easier.

And then there's always that task of replacing the shell with a real programming language, but as we've discussed, that's a bit more of an ambitious project.

Dan