tpop3d-devel

[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d w/TLS

From: Ben Schumacher
Subject: [tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d w/TLS
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:57:50 -0700 (MST)

After a couple late nights of hacking and a lot of beating my head against
the wall, I got TLS working with tpop3d. Right now, it only support STLS
-- starting TLS after an unencrypted connection has already been
established on 110 -- but I think it would be pretty simple to get it to
support pop3s, or SSL to start with over port 995.

The code probably needs some cleanup and sanity checking, but I used
OpenSSL, so it should be fairly portable. I don't know a lot about setting
up autoconf scripts, so I haven't modified configure.in to have a
--with-openssl option, or the like.

So far the code has only been configured to mbox, and not mdir. The
reason for this is that the send_message function expects a socket, so I
had to add a special tls_send_message function to mbox that accepts an
SSL type. If anybody's interested, I could diff what I have and post it to
the list for you.

Just wanted to give everybody a heads up that it is possible and not all
that difficult to get TLS working with tpop3d!

Ben