tpop3d-devel

[tpop3d-discuss]pop before smtp and logging..

From: James Gurney
Subject: [tpop3d-discuss]pop before smtp and logging..
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 00:03:16 -0700

2 questions..

1. Ignoring the fact that pop-before-smtp is the root of all evil, has anyone succesfully implemented this with postfix, using the builtin system? I've had a look at the relaydbm script, but I must confess my perl knowledge is sorely lacking, and if someone else has done this already, it would make my life a lot easier, and far better than the kludgy system I use now which tail -f's the logfile.

2. The tpop3d logging is reaaallly noisy. One single mail check appears to generate 6 lines of logfile. With multiple users all checking the mail on a regular basis (ie, every 2 minutes), the mail log quickly gets very big. Realistically, I don't need the current verbosity level. Hell, I'd be happy with just logging failed connections. I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a good answer - is there a way to make the logging less noisy? It would be really handy if it was a configuration option so you could enable more detailed logging for troubleshooting, but leave it nice and quiet for day to day operations.

Cheers,

James