Re: tramp (2.0.14); tramp hangs when storing files >1000 bytes

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.14); tramp hangs when storing files >1000 bytes
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 18:45:19 +0200

address@hidden (Bjørn Nordbø) writes:

> address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> No, no.  That's not what I meant.
>>
>> You have to interactively log in to the remote host by doing
>
> Ah, ok. Well, I tried that and it worked fine (started Emacs and a
> shell buffer and yanked the uuencoded data into the standard in of
> the uudecode-process. It seemed to work fine.

Hm.  So why does it fail when Tramp tries to do it?  Hm.

> I have done some more testing:
>
> - Have tested real.hosts being both Solaris 8 and Debian GNU/Linux;
>   no difference.
> - The problem seems to occur as the file goes above 1005 bytes. I
>   have tested this several times; 1005 bytes is of, 1006 bytes and
>   it hangs.

Interesting that the problem is so hard -- no fuzziness involved, it
seems.  Does it work to send the data from within Tramp in increments
of, say, 512 bytes, and waiting a bit between chunks?

Can you frob the Tramp source code to do that and try?

> - I have found no runaway processes on any of the hosts, just a
>   chain of [emacs -> ssh] -> [sshd -> bash -> ssh] -> [sshd -> sh]
>   where everybody seems to be expecting some kind of response from
>   somewhere (the last shell hangs on read from FD 0).
>
> However there's one thing that troubles me. Even though I use the
> "multi" method (which should use mimencode) and has set mimencode
> as tramp-encoding-command and tramp-decoding-command, it seems from
> the debug buffer that Tramp still uses uudecode. Hmm.

Near the beginning of the debug buffer you should be able to see what
Tramp has done to check whether mimencode works.

Recent Tramp versions check various encodings, so that the multi
method uses either mimencode or recode or uuencode, as required.

Is the mimencode executable in a directory that's mentioned in
tramp-remote-path?

What do you mean by "has set mimencode as tramp-encoding-command"?
Tramp does not look at such parameters in tramp-methods.

kai