Re: tramp (2.0.19); end of file during parsing on OS/390 host.

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.19); end of file during parsing on OS/390 host.
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:36:41 +0200

Klaus-Georg Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Klaus-Georg Adams <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Wenn doing a
>> > C-x C-f /rsh:ihsapfc:~/
>> > where ihsapfc is an OS/390 machine, I eventually get the message
>> > End of file during parsing
>> > in the minibuffer.
>> >
>> > The *tramp/rsh ihsapfc* buffer is empty.
>> >
>> > -----------*debug tramp/rsh ihsapfc*------------------
>> > [...]
>> > $ test -e /net/sapmnt.home1/d034879/ 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status
>> > $?
>> > tramp_exit_status 0
>> > # file attributes with perl: /rsh:ihsapfc:/net/sapmnt.home1/d034879/
>> > $ tramp_file_attributes /net/sapmnt.home1/d034879/
>> > -----------*debug tramp/rsh ihsapfc*------------------
>>
>> Please use Tramp to open a connection like the above.  Then switch to
>> the *tramp/foo* buffer, erase it, and then do
>>
>> M-: (process-send-string "tramp_file_attributes
>> /net/sapmnt.home1/d034879/\n") RET
>
> I did
> M-: (process-send-string nil "tramp_file_attributes
> /net/sapmnt.home1/d034879/\n") RET
> in the *tramp/foo* buffer and I saw
> -------snip-----------
>
> /////
> -------snip-----------

Good.  Before the "/////" (shell prompt) you should see the output of
tramp_file_attributes.  But there is no output.  So now the next step
is to figure out why does tramp_file_attributes not produce any
output.

In the *debug tramp/foo* buffer you should be able to see the source
code of that shell function (it invokes Perl), and then you can
change it to invoke "perl -d" or something.

If it is not easy to figure out why tramp_file_attributes fails, then
it might also be possible for Tramp to make a check whether it
fails.  Then Tramp could abstain from using it.  There is a function
in Tramp which looks for a working Perl, this function could be
augmented to check for your case, too.  But I have no idea how to
figure out if your case happens.  (I mean, without actually trying
tramp_file_attributes, but the check should be before that shell
function is defined.)

kai