Re: Dealing with strange shell prompts

From: Clemens Fischer
Subject: Re: Dealing with strange shell prompts
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:34:46 +0200

Daniel Pittman <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>
>> OK.  So what about rc or rx or what is this Plan9 thing called?
>
> Fails, sorry. The assignment makes rc die with a syntax error.

naturally.  rc has a real, but simple syntax, so it requires a
variable name after a `$'.  but what about a simple "exec rc" instead?
(i) the prompt is not so simple, or more simple, whatever, ie. i used
to have: "fn prompt {p=$status; ~ $p 0 || echo '$status: ' $p}" in my
~/.rcrc, because i want the status of my last command (if it is
non-zero) and not much else in my prompt.  (ii) many people use
another version of this shell, called "es".  it's similar, but has
some more possibilities yet.  my bet is you'd want to stay with rc,
and don't set any prompt on it.  then you get a "; ", IIRC.

clemens