Re: Tramp on HP-UX

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp on HP-UX
Date: 24 Apr 2003 14:20:14 +0200

"Oliver, Peter" <address@hidden> writes:

> Firstly, on HP-UX, the command more usually called "rsh" is called "remsh".
> This is because rsh is something else, the restricted shell.  The patch adds
> new methods that use remsh instead of rsh.  Perhaps it would be better if
> the rsh method were able to automatically detect which binary it should be
> calling, but that would require someone with some lisp knowledge; I made my
> changes pretty much just by copying and pasting :-)

Right. In my .tramp I do change it already this way:

; under HP-UX we need the "remsh" instead of "rsh"
(if (string-equal system-type "hpux")
  (progn
    (setcar (cddr (assoc "rsh" tramp-multi-connection-function-alist))
            "remsh %h -l %u%n")

    (setq my-tramp-methods tramp-methods)
    (while my-tramp-methods
      (let ((cdr (cdr (assoc 'tramp-rsh-program (car my-tramp-methods)))))
        (if (string-equal "rsh" (car cdr))
            (setcar cdr "remsh"))
        (setq my-tramp-methods (cdr my-tramp-methods))))))

But it's better to have this set in tramp.el already.

> Secondly, it is possible to configure the sudo password prompt with
> /etc/sudoers.  However, if you've done this, tramp fails to recognise the
> password prompt when it sees it.  By using the -p option to sudo, this patch
> forces the prompt to be what tramp expects.

Sounds resonable.

I'll apply both patches tonight to CVS.