Re: question about extending Tramp

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: question about extending Tramp
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:26:48 -0400

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, address@hidden wrote:
> It depends. Tramp is designed to handle file primitive
> operations. It is not clear to me which files you intend to handle
> with an IMAP or LDAP server. For my understanding, both servers
> offer information pieces, which are not necessarily files.

I was thinking of having a file be a message with an attachment in
IMAP terms, and a single read-only record in LDAP.

> I've started with tramp-smb.el the basic way: reading Tramp sources,
> reading Elisp manual, and asking lotta questions to Kai.

I think that's the right approach for any Emacs Lisp project (read the
source, then ask Kai :)

> Maybe I'm not the best person to answer, 'cause I wrote
> tramp-smb.el. But I don't know another example (except tramp-ftp.el
> and tramp-efs.el, which are just mediation shells to existing file
> handlers).

I think tramp-smb.el is the best place, then.

Also, should I be looking at the tramp2 stuff?  I don't use it, so I
don't know if it's a better place to put my code.

Thanks
Ted