Re: tramp smashes my .bash_history file

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp smashes my .bash_history file
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:40:23 +0200

Skip Montanaro <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using tramp 2.0.35 on XEmacs 21.5 beta 9.  Even though I see this code
> in (tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell):
>
>   (tramp-message
>    9 "Waiting 30s for `HISTFILE=$HOME/.tramp_history; HISTSIZE=1'")
>   (tramp-send-command-internal multi-method method user host
>                                "HISTFILE=$HOME/.tramp_history; HISTSIZE=1")
>
> on one of the remote systems on which I edit files (a Solaris 8 system
> running Bash 2.03.0(1)-release) I find no .tramp_history file, but see all
> manner of tramp-related shell commands in ~/.bash_history.

Fascinating.  Hm.  After connecting to the remote host, could you
have a look in the *debug tramp/foo* buffer to see if Tramp indeed
sent the commands correctly?

Another useful thing to do is to C-x b to the *tramp/foo* buffer and
then to use M-: (process-send-string nil "foo\n") RET for sending
commands there.  This way, could you find out which values HISTFILE
and HISTSIZE are set to?  Maybe they don't have the right values.
And if you manually set them, does that help?  Do the variables
perhaps need to be exported?

Hm.

Oh!  Tramp usually starts /bin/sh when connecting to the remote end.
Maybe that shell groks $HISTFILE but not $HISTSIZE?

What happens when you manually connect there and issue "exec /bin/sh"
and then try to frob $HISTFILE and $HISTSIZE?

Kai