Re: smb connection fails on passward var

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: smb connection fails on passward var
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 17:30:06 +0100

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> I also don't remember the details.  It seems it now uses
> tramp-get-parameter or suchlike to find the value.  Hm.  But the
> question is, why does it search for the value at all?  It seems that
> tramp-smb has added an entry lacking this item to tramp-methods for
> ages.

tramp-smb uses `tramp-enter-password'. There you find the sequence

(or (tramp-get-method-parameter
      tramp-current-multi-method
      tramp-current-method
      tramp-current-user
      tramp-current-host
      'tramp-password-end-of-line)
    tramp-default-password-end-of-line)

`tramp-get-method-parameter' returns nil if the respective entry for
'tramp-password-end-of-line is missing in `tramp-methods'. That is an
intended side effect, because `tramp-default-password-end-of-line'
(equals to "\n") is the desired value.

I guess it is something else. See my last mail to Harry.