cvs -r

From: Tim Connors
Subject: cvs -r
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 01:06:16 +1100 (EST)

I was having trouble getting the latest CVS to work, so tried to check out
previous tags. The only thing I got working was CVS's -D feature to pick a
particlular date.

I tried various things like
cvs upd -r V-2-0-38
or
cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/tramp co -r V-2-0-38 tramp

and always got errors such as:
cvs [server aborted]: cannot write /cvsroot/tramp/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission
denied

Why it's trying to write, I have no idea, but a google for
both
"CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied" "server aborted"
and
"CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied" "server aborted" tramp
reveal it is a common problem; perhaps a bug in cvs server

Do you guys know what is wrong?

Oh, and cheers to the new years :)
(Who else sits on mailing lists at 01:00:00:01-01-2004?)

You must realize that the computer has it in for you.  The irrefutable
proof of this is that the computer always does what you tell it to do.