Tramp corrupting remote files

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Tramp corrupting remote files
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:12:36 -0600

Exactly what the subject says. ssh transport; the remote system is using
AFS as the filesystem, so changes aren't necessarily committed until a
close() or sync() is done.

A remote file that starts out like this:

first several lines
second several lines
third ...
fourth ...
fifth ...

ends up being mangled into something like this:

first
second
first
second
first
second
third
fourth
fifth

though the precise location within the file where the old contents
(appear to be) truncated and the new contents (appear to) begin is not
quite as consistant as the above would imply.

Using the scp transport with the CVS version [needed for password
support] does not have this issue; indeed, it works quite well except
for the interminable reprompting for my password -- but perhaps this is
trivially disablable; I haven't looked at the docs all that hard.

I'm not on the list, so please CC me on replies.