Re: bypass any tests involving perl, awk, shell print, etc.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: bypass any tests involving perl, awk, shell print, etc.
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:31:22 +0100

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <address@hidden> writes:

> Although I found some useful info in this thread:
>
>   http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2002-07/msg00116.html
>
> I failed to find a recipe on how to configure tramp to bypass certain
> autodetection code snippets, like the ones in the subject.

The performance problem is known, but nothing has been done about it,
yet.

> My problem is that the target host is a really 'bare bones' with nothing
> fancy as perl, awk (and the like) installed. So I wonder how do I go about
> nuking all those auto-tests which involve fancy stuff like:
>
> ,----
> | tramp_file_attributes () {
> | $d/perl5; break; fi; done <<'EOF' -e '($f, $n) = @ARGV;
> | Syntax error: "fi" unexpected (expecting "}")
> `----

This snipped is quite short, and it seems to be garbled.  But Tramp
first searches for a perl binary, and only if a perl binary is found,
Tramp sends the corresponding Perl snippets.

At least I *think* that's what Tramp is doing.

Could you start a fresh Emacs, then do C-x C-f
/method:address@hidden:/some/file RET, then post the *debug tramp/foo*
buffer?

Please do not use filename completion for this test.  Filename
completion makes the *debug tramp/foo* buffer longer and thus harder
to read.

> I'm speculating I would have to remove some of the 'tramp-methods' from
> the list. Would that do the trick? How would I go about it?

It has little to do with the tramp-methods variable...  The checks are
performed while the connection is established.

Kai