Re: remote command output in tramp/eshell

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: remote command output in tramp/eshell
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:31:51 +0200

Berkan Eskikaya <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

> I use TrampMode with eshell. I cannot, however, see the output of remote
> commands [ran whilst in a remote directory ie on a remote host] in the
> eshell buffer.
>
> Kai Grossjohann had inquired about the same issue on tramp-devel/2002-09:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2002-09/msg00121.html
>
> I was wondering if there is a simple way [ie a simple change or setting
> in tramp [or perhaps in eshell]] which would insert the output of a remote
> command into the current eshell buffer.
>
> If you could point me in the right direction, I can also try to implement
> it myself.

I've debugged it a little bit.

If you step through `eshell-remote-command', you'll see that Tramp's
`shell-command' is called. It returns the output of the command into
the output buffer " *eshell remote output*", and eshell reads it from
there.

Why it isn't inserted into the eshell buffer, I haven't followed,
because I'm not so familiar with eshell.