Re: login fails

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: login fails
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:15:49 -0500 (EST)

Your explanation of syntax much clearer than the manual
document. Thanks.

> Urgh, I'm losing track of what you want here, at any rate, with ssh as
> default-method :-

I suspect I got confused on the relation of ssh and ftp. I thought the
choice was between unaided ftp and ftp using the ssh protocol, not
simply ftp or ssh.

>     Haines> Incidentally, when I do this experiment, it messes up
>     Haines> emacs so that I can't start rmail and various commands
>     Haines> don't work. I have to restart emacs to continue.
>
> I've never heard of this before although one of the tramp gurus may
> have had the problems while experimenting. At any rate, check your
> *Messages* buffer to check that tramp is loading and is being
> used. If not and you've required tramp in your .emacs then it sounds
> like tramp is not being loaded : try tramp-version to make sure.

Strange. The *Messages* buffer tells me ispell is loaded, but nothing
about tramp being loaded. On the other hand, M-x tramp-version returns
2.0.42. So it seems that emacs is tramp aware, but not loading it. It
is very useful to know that emacs must load tramp initially.

I think I'd best continue these experiments on my new setup, because
if emacs is broken, then any results may be meaningless. I'll put the
tramp statements in the ~./emacs file on the new setup, and then try
to use tramp with ssh and get back to you with the result.

Thanks for your patient consideration.

Haines