Re: Multi-hop proxy's gonna kill me

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Multi-hop proxy's gonna kill me
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:20:46 +0200

Kirk Strauser <address@hidden> writes:

> I was *so* close to understand Tramp 2.1's proxies, but then I lost it.  How
> would I build a list of proxies equivalent to:
>
>     /multi:ssh:address@hidden:ssh:address@hidden:sudo:address@hidden:/

That is a little bit tricky. First attempt would be

(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
             '("\\`protected\\'"
               "\\`kirk\\'"
               "/sudo:address@hidden:"))
(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
             '("\\`bastion\\'"
               "\\`kirk\\'"
               "/ssh:address@hidden:"))

But this would mean that every local route to root would go this
way. Here you could use the property of the su(do)? methods that they
don't care the hostname. The first rule could be rewritten as

Then you simply need to open "/sudo:address@hidden:", and you are there.

> I really miss the old multi-hop syntax, even though I mostly understand the
> advantages of the new system.  I'd really love to see a Tramp function to
> convert an arbitrary old-style long path to a proxy list - for migration
> and educational purposes - but I suspect that's dreaming.  :-)

Good idea. Maybe I'll write something like this for the FAQ. But not
before my holidays, which start on Saturday...