Re: Why proxies?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Why proxies?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:57:09 +0200

Kirk Strauser <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Kirk,

> I'm not saying that the new proxy setup is bad, but I just don't "get" it.
> What's the killer app for the new system?

It depends on how you use Tramp for multi-hops. If you have always the
same paths to hop, proxies are better because they are much shorter to
type once they are set up. And it is my impression that _this_ kind of
use is the majority (but maybe I'm wrong).

>From the implementation point of view, multi-hops are simpler to
handle. multi-hop syntax from Tramp 2.0 is ambigous, and it doesn't
allow to use default methods.

But I see your point: applying multi-hop on the fly is worse
now. Maybe we can make a compromise: there is a request for supporting
new Tramp users entering remote file names step by step,
interactively. This request is on the todo list. I believe such a
command could support multi-hops as well, adapting proxies on the
fly. This could serve your needs as well.

The major problem is, that these days I'm the only Tramp maintainer,
and I'm very short in time ...