Re: compiling remote rst files

From: Hans Halvorson
Subject: Re: compiling remote rst files
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:12:59 -0500

At Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:07:45 +0100,
Michael Albinus wrote:

> > For now, I just use "compile" directly with Tramp.  Remote compilation
> > is not quite working: it does not terminate properly -- Emacs is not
> > receiving the signal that the compilation is finished.
>
> Thanks for reporting; I've fixed it in Tramp CVS.
>
> > Best wishes,
> > Hans
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Michael,

Thank you for this fix.  There is another little problem -- most
likely unrelated to your fix for compilation.

If I start the Wanderlust mail reader from within a remote buffer
opened with Tramp, then it hangs -- it seems to get confused about
which files to open.  (But Wanderlust should be checking IMAP and NNTP
folders, it has nothing to do with ssh and should not call Tramp at
all.)  Here are the messages:

Checking on "news.gnus.org"
Checking "%inbox"
Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using ssh...
Tramp: Waiting 60s for local shell to come up... [2 times]
Quit

I paste in below the startup sequence for Wanderlust:

1. (defun wl (&optional arg)
2.   "Start Wanderlust -- Yet Another Message Interface On Emacsen.
3. If ARG (prefix argument) is specified, folder checkings are skipped."
4.   (interactive "P")
5.   (unless wl-init
6.     (wl-load-profile)
7.     (elmo-init))
8.   (let (demo-buf check)
9.     (unless wl-init
10.       (if wl-demo (setq demo-buf (wl-demo)))
11.       (setq check t))
12.     (wl-init)
13.     (condition-case obj
14.     (progn
15.       (if check
16.           (progn
17.             (message "Checking environment...")
18.             (wl-check-environment arg)
19.             (message "Checking environment...done")
20.             (message "Checking type of variables...")
21.             (wl-check-variables)
22.             (wl-check-variables-2)
23.             (message "Checking type of variables...done")))
24.       (let ((inhibit-quit t))
25.         (wl-plugged-init (wl-folder)))
26.       (unless arg
27.         (run-hooks 'wl-auto-check-folder-pre-hook)
28.         (wl-folder-auto-check)
29.         (run-hooks 'wl-auto-check-folder-hook)))
30.       (error
31.        (if (buffer-live-p demo-buf)
32.        (kill-buffer demo-buf))
33.        (signal (car obj)(cdr obj)))
34.       (quit))
35.     (when wl-biff-check-folder-list
36.       (unless arg (wl-biff-check-folders))
37.       (wl-biff-start))
38.     (if (buffer-live-p demo-buf)
39.     (kill-buffer demo-buf)))
40.   (run-hooks 'wl-hook))

The hangup occurs somewhere after line 23.  But this is probably
completely unhelpful, as this function calls many other wl functions,
and since you probably do not know about the internal structure of wl.
I will investigate myself, and discuss with the Wanderlust
maintainers.

Thanks,
Hans