Re: tramp 2.1.11 completion list force refresh

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp 2.1.11 completion list force refresh
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:06:39 +0100

"Thomas S. Chin" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi guys,

Hi,

> Love the Tramp package and have been using it for a while.  I recently
> upgraded from 2.1.3 to 2.1.11 and noticed a discrepancy that I am not
> able to resolve.  In 2.1.3, I am able to get the completion list to
> display updates to a directory (after the list has been previously
> loaded).  Let's say I get a completion list for "/tmp/" and then add a
> new file to that directory.  If I C-x C-f and force a tab complete
> from "/tm" -> "/tmp/" it will show the latest contents of "/tmp/".

Tramp caches now information from the remote host in order to improve
performance. This includes directory contents.

Tramp is busy to find out when cached information has been expired. In
some cases, it doesn't detect it; mostly when there are changes on the
remote host outside the control of Tramp, like creation of a file not by
Emacs/Tramp means.

Could you, please, provide a scenario how this happens to you? Maybe we
can teach Tramo to detect such a situation as well.