default remote shell in tramp

From: Vinh Nguyen
Subject: default remote shell in tramp
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:32:56 -0700

Dear list,

First, my goal is to have access to my PATH that I modify in my
.bashrc file on remote machines.  However, when I invoke "!" or "&" in
dired, the commands are not found:
/bin/sh: MYCOMMAND: not found

I figure this is because bash is not used by tramp even though bash is
the default login shell on my remote systems.  Why isn't tramp using
it?  I understand that one way around this is to set the tramp path.
However, I don't want to go this route since different machines have
different PATHs.  Is there a way to set tramp to use the remote login
shell?

Thanks.
Vinh