Directory tracking and completions in tramp remote shells

From: Christian Millour (AB TELA)
Subject: Directory tracking and completions in tramp remote shells
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 01:14:30 +0100

Hello,

consider a tramp remote shell obtained for instance by C-x C-f /plink:address@hidden: ~/foo, and then C-u M-x shell in this buffer.

currently directory tracking and completions do not work in tramp remote shells for absolute pathnames.

This lossy behavior stems from the fact that tramp is currently not setting the (buffer-local) variable comint-file-name-prefix.

To see the difference, eval the following definition

(defun fix-comint-file-name-prefix ()
  (interactive "*")
  (with-parsed-tramp-file-name default-directory nil
    (set (make-local-variable 'comint-file-name-prefix)
     (tramp-make-tramp-file-name method user host ""))))

then go in the remote shell buffer (properly resync'ed if needed) and M-x fix-comint-file-name-prefix. Presto, everything works :-) : cd and pushd and completion for absolute pathnames ; and if directory tracking gets confused because you sourced a file or used an alias that changed directory, you can even resync using dirs at the shell prompt (or M-x dirs).

Actually, everything works *except* popd, but that is because of a bug in shell-process-popd, which should be
(defun shell-process-popd (arg)
  (let ((num (or (shell-extract-num arg) 0)))
    (cond ((and num (= num 0) shell-dirstack)
       ;(shell-cd (car shell-dirstack)) <<<<<< whoops!
(shell-cd (shell-prefixed-directory-name (car shell-dirstack))) ; << better
       (setq shell-dirstack (cdr shell-dirstack))
       (shell-dirstack-message))
      ((and num (> num 0) (<= num (length shell-dirstack)))
       (let* ((ds (cons nil shell-dirstack))
          (cell (nthcdr (1- num) ds)))
         (rplacd cell (cdr (cdr cell)))
         (setq shell-dirstack (cdr ds))
         (shell-dirstack-message)))
      (t
       (error "Couldn't popd")))))
I will post the patch to emacs-devel as soon as I finish this message.

I have tried to upgrade tramp (latest version, but that should apply to 2.1.19-pre just as well) so that this variable would be set automatically. The logical place seems to be in tramp-sh-handle-start-file-process, as follows :
Taisha:~/tramp/tramp/lisp $ diff -c tramp-sh.el.~2.11.~  tramp-sh.el
*** tramp-sh.el.~2.11.~    Thu Oct 21 09:55:10 2010
--- tramp-sh.el    Sat Nov  6 01:15:42 2010
***************
*** 2687,2693 ****
            (set-process-buffer (tramp-get-connection-process v) nil)
            (kill-buffer (current-buffer)))
        (widen)
!       (goto-char (point-max))))
        (tramp-set-connection-property v "process-name" nil)
        (tramp-set-connection-property v "process-buffer" nil))))

--- 2687,2695 ----
            (set-process-buffer (tramp-get-connection-process v) nil)
            (kill-buffer (current-buffer)))
        (widen)
!       (goto-char (point-max)))
!     (set (make-local-variable 'comint-file-name-prefix)
!          (tramp-make-tramp-file-name method user host "")))
        (tramp-set-connection-property v "process-name" nil)
        (tramp-set-connection-property v "process-buffer" nil))))

Taisha:~/tramp/tramp/lisp $

but unfortunately it seems that the value get reset by the final call to (shell-mode) in shell (the lisp funtion). This is weird because I don't see where shell-mode (actually "define-derived-mode shell") sets this variable, or why it should set it. At this point I have however reached the limit of my emacs savvyness (I don't know in depth how derived modes work, and how to instrument and step into a derived mode) and am at a loss as where to go next... Any idea ? Is this the right place or should I raise it on emacs-devel ?

Thanks in advance, and best regards, Christian.