How do I figure out what is wrong with tramp?

From: Victor Norman
Subject: How do I figure out what is wrong with tramp?
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:04:15 +0000 (UTC)

I am using tramp "2.1.18-23.2" from Aquamacs 2.1 which is Emacs 23.2.50.1 on my
Mac OS X.

I am trying to use tramp, but it isn't working for me, and I can't figure out
what part is wrong.  I'm trying to get files from an Ubuntu machine called
acolyte.

I do C-f C-x /[acolyte]junk.py

and I see a buffer called [acolyte]junk.py

but it is empty.  Note that I can do ssh acolyte from my Mac and it works fine
-- doesn't even ask for a password, as I have ssh-keys working.

I could post all the output from logging in to acolyte, but I doubt you want to
see that.  My shell prompt on acolyte looks like this:

address@hidden:~$

How do I figure out what is wrong?  I don't know what to do or where to look to
get debug info about what might be wrong.  I can't even tell if tramp is being
run at all...

I've read most of http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/ but did not find any place
that showed me how to figure out what is wrong.

If this is covered somewhere, please just point me at the web page.  I don't
mind reading manuals...

Thanks.

Vic Norman